Broken Bolt Removal Demonstration

Bradygoldminer

Broken Bolt Removal Demonstration

Postby Bradygoldminer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am

Hello Everyone,

I know people always have problems with broken bolts on horns, So I made this video awhile back demonstrating how to remove broken bolts from K or P Horns. I would really recommend using a MIG welder instead of a stick welder for better results. If you use a stick welder like I did it takes a lot of patience, due to what condition your bolt is in.

Check out my YouTube channel Bradygoldminer for other horn videos if you are interested.

Thanks,
Brady

Derailed 2005

Re: Broken Bolt Removal Demonstration

Postby Derailed 2005 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Ok, what did I miss here? You welded a nut on the material you added to the broken bolt, and after all was said and done the thing unscrewed effortlessly with a simple crescent wrench.

How did the bolt get snapped off in the first place? Had it been over tightened?

Interesting video, but I don't understand how it came free so easily, unless the applied heat did the trick.

Bradygoldminer

Re: Broken Bolt Removal Demonstration

Postby Bradygoldminer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:42 am

Derailed 2005 wrote:Ok, what did I miss here? You welded a nut on the material you added to the broken bolt, and after all was said and done the thing unscrewed effortlessly with a simple crescent wrench.

How did the bolt get snapped off in the first place? Had it been over tightened?

Interesting video, but I don't understand how it came free so easily, unless the applied heat did the trick.

Hello,

I did this as a demonstration piece, What wasn't on the video was me tightening the new bolt, cutting it off with an angle grinder, Just for a tutorial video. If this was a real bolt, you would have to add a lot of heat to it, weld a nut to it, and unscrew it with some vice grips with slow backward and forward movements. If the bolt snaps, you would need to repeat the welding process as far as I know. I forgot to mention that in the video.

Sorry if this made no sense at all, I really suck at explaining things.

Thanks for the correction,
Brady

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”