BigBore sounding problems

BlakeK5LLA

Re: BigBore sounding problems

Postby BlakeK5LLA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Ugh. Crabby neighbors are killing this hobby haha. Have you tried gray cushion rings? I've used them in the past to fix whiny 5s but idk if its somthing that would help in this situation. Or use older diaphragms with wear marks on them. I've gotten better results with old used diaphragms than with new ones. I had a 5 bell that I completely retired because the nozzle ring was wore down and it always had awful tone. It was killing the sound of the whole horn but after replacing it the horn sounded 100 times better. I'm not saying do that to yours because it's all original. That's just some 5 headaches I've dealt with.

jjgravy

Postby jjgravy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, yes. lol! I’ve never tried the grey ones. I had a horn that had them a while back but I personally didn’t see a difference, but then again, that horn worked fine so I wouldn’t know. It’s worth a shot so I’ll see if I can find one. I’ll try using some older diaphragms. I put 2 brand new ones in a few days ago and it made no difference. And no, replacing the 5 is definitely not an option unfortunately. There’s absolutely no nozzle wear. It’s insanely level so that’s why I’m thinking it has to be something other than the nozzle. I’ll post some pics below.
Attachments
C42AF1E4-6D50-4573-B21D-4A1D6E42E2A4.jpeg
69DC7629-37C0-48F7-AC05-D17B486609A9.jpeg
C647F8E0-ED4F-462F-8A8A-CFB49A02689F.jpeg
Jordan G.
NW OH
Amtrak 900, Amtrak 370, 89’ CSX LA, Post 2016 HLA
2009 Tacoma, 200BC-C strobes, 43 CFM@100 psi pump.

Bradygoldminer

Postby Bradygoldminer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Hello,

Here is some more things I would like to suggest,

I have a troubled 4A bell with the original thinner diaphragms it came with from the factory. It made a noise like bu bu bu bu bu bu bu.

Before this happend I thought it was a good plan to buy that huge lot of K series diaphragms on eBay awhile back. That was one of the best things I spent my money on so far. I ended up getting 4 original heat treated diaphragms from the early sandcast days, and a some thicker diaphragms I think from the 80’s. So, I tried putting one of those thicker 80’s diaphragms into that 4A, bolted it back together and it sounded like it came fresh from the factory.

I have a couple of those 80’s diaphragms if you want to give them a try.

Thanks Brady

jjgravy

Postby jjgravy » Thu May 02, 2019 1:01 pm

All the diaphragms in this horn appear to be the originals with the exception of the 1 Bell. I got one of those lots as well. Helluva deal and a lot of good ones in there. Haven’t had a chance to test anymore and probably won’t have the time until the end of May. I’ll keep you posted on any progress I make.
Jordan G.
NW OH

Tracker1977

Postby Tracker1977 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I had problems like that on a k5la years ago and it ended up being a bad cushion in the 4a bell and air leaking out of numerous areas on the horn causing it to be very inefficient. Once I addressed the air leaks through bad O ring gaskets and bolts not being tightened enough and even debris on the nozzles it was sealed properly and it was back to normal. I always test my horns by blowing air into the horn with my mouth and if you can blow air and it passes through then you have a leak. If you can’t blow air then it is sealed properly and it usually operates the way it should. Can be very frustrating I hope you can figure it out as that’s a beautiful horn.

Evansville-Antiques

Postby Evansville-Antiques » Tue May 07, 2019 1:55 am

My only other theory would be that it's an EX Amtrak horn and its heavy usage caused an unknown wear problem . The back cap could be warped , the bell side is not really susceptible to warping. Really interesting problem . Set up the 5 on a bench and an air tool to blow it and try swapping other backcaps . If it hisses then somthing is missing .

Evansville-Antiques

Postby Evansville-Antiques » Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 am

Another type of failure is the lodged debris chip causing a dead bell. I may be wrong though, about the powerchamber being completely resistant to strange warping or wear patterns from a heavy service life. On the other hand, a K bell can be missing chunks from the nozzle and still work...

jjgravy

Postby jjgravy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 am

Sorry for the long response time. I’ve been super busy this summer and haven’t had a whole lot of time to tinker with horns. Around the first of June, I was able to get the Big Bore 5 bell sounding on my Amtrak 900 without warbling most of the time. I noticed that it warbled around higher pressures (145-115 psi) but when I lowered the blowing pressure to 105-100 ish, it would sound beautifully and evenly. I took all your amazing suggestions to mind and it turned out to be a cushion ring issue. Blake Kennis was a huge help in getting this thing back to normal. I took the thinnest cushion ring in the horn and threw it in the 5 bell and this is what got me progress. It’s still not absolutely perfect and I’ll eventually try to get it perfect like it once was but I’m content with how it sounds now. Although it’s not as good as it was last May, it’s damn near close. I’ll get some audio posted on YouTube and post the link on this forum sometime in the near future. Thanks again guys!
Jordan G.
NW OH

jjgravy

Youtube Audio clip

Postby jjgravy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Jordan G.
NW OH

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”