Roger Blough Horns

Habes

Roger Blough Horns

Postby Habes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 am

Hello, I am trying to identify a pair of horns located on the Great Lakes vessel Roger Blough's stack. The two are supposedly Airchime models, and produce a unique two-tone sound. I have measured the frequency of the lower-pitched horn to be around 88-89 Hz, which makes me think that it might be a KM-85. Would it be reasonable for a horn to vary this much from its fundamental frequency? The higher-pitched horn sounds at approximately 120 Hz, but from my research I do not know of an Airchime model that has such a fundamental frequency. What could it be? Thank you to anyone who is able to help me with this!

I have attached both a picture and video of the horns below. The higher-pitched horn is sounded at around the 10:40 mark in the video, with both horns being sounded together at around 11:00 (following the Aerial Lift Bridge response). Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVd_JC ... Rx&index=3
Attachments
Roger Blough Horns.png

railgeek

Re: Roger Blough Horns

Postby railgeek » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:47 am

I recently honked my KM85 and 110 together on a boat, and they don't sound like the horns in that video. Those might be Kockums MKT models.

-Reed S

Habes

Re: Roger Blough Horns

Postby Habes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Thank you for the response! I agree that the KM-85 and KM-100 together do not match the horns in the original video - although yours do sound great!

I like the idea of Kockums MKT models. It looks like the company has produced an MKT 150/90 model, which matches the frequency of the Blough’s lower-pitched horn. I cannot find evidence of a 120 Hz horn in the MKT series, but maybe a custom model was created back in the 1970’s when the ship was built. Perhaps an MKT 150/110 or MKT 150/130 could be tuned to a 120 Hz mark as well?

Return to “Ship, Boat, Fog and Fire Horns”