Kahlenberg T-2

Derailed 2005

Kahlenberg T-2

Postby Derailed 2005 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 pm

I picked up an old Kahlenberg yesterday, serial #5941 on each of the three tags, round bracket, appears to have seen a lot of use but it's all there and sounds decent. I'm presuming it was used in commercial marine service. I know exactly 0 about Kahlenberg horns. Can anyone here approximate it's age based on that serial number? Also, what is the recommend air pressure for these horns?

Thanks for any help, or pointing me to where to find out more about it.

Ron

Derailed 2005

Re: Kahlenberg T-2

Postby Derailed 2005 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks, Izzy, lots of good information in there.

Ron

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 am

You bet Ron! I am currently having some issues trying to get the back caps off of my T-2 for some reason they are stuck on there pretty good even when all the bolts are out of each back cap. I was thinking of taking the bolts out then applying air to the horn maybe causing the air to force the caps off. Any other suggestions?

Derailed 2005

Postby Derailed 2005 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 pm

izzwardo wrote:You bet Ron! I am currently having some issues trying to get the back caps off of my T-2 for some reason they are stuck on there pretty good even when all the bolts are out of each back cap. I was thinking of taking the bolts out then applying air to the horn maybe causing the air to force the caps off. Any other suggestions?

Hey, Iz -This Kahlenberg is uncharted territory for me, I've only had it since Friday. I had no idea you had one. I read in the archives here that there are no gaskets, and I'm reluctant to go snooping inside until I know what's what in there. Applying air works to unseat K horn discs, maybe it would work to loosen the back caps, too. Perhaps a careful whack across the back with a rubber mallet and a block of wood would shock them enough to break them free. Those 1/4-20 bolts are bronze (I think), did they come out without a fight?

Last night I was able to access the Kahlenberg catalog in your link, today it wants me to log in via Facebook, which I don't have. I think it is a 331 model, but I can't get back in there to verify that.

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey Ron I ended up getting those caps off I ended up taking a ball ping hammer and lightly tapping the cap and they eventually broke free. One put up a pretty good fight but eventually came off. When I took them off I noticed a lot of sand and oil so I cleaned all that out. One think that I am uncertain about is a oily smear on the diaphragms that looked like it was intentional and I ended up taking it all off and now I'm wondering if I should have left it or reapplied whatever it was. I did a short video of me taking the caps off when I get a chance I'll post it on you tube for you

Return to “Ship, Boat, Fog and Fire Horns”