What is this ? Anyone know ?

captfxco

What is this ? Anyone know ?

Postby captfxco » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:44 pm

I came across this horn in an antique / junk shop. It is all brass, heavy motor housing. It was marked as a marine horn, and they had no other info on it. At one time it appeared to have a plaque attached by 2 rivits, but it was long gone and the rivets smooth, The only markings on it are "MB" above the numbers "8282" and what looks like maybe "1c8" I think.. It is wired with a standard house type plug but there is nothing on the outside that states voltage. Its possible it could be 12V or 120V but no way to tell without opening it, hense I did not try to plug it in to see if it works... anyone ever seen / heard this before ? I'm thinking it's some kind of klaxon maybe. Thanks.
Attachments
Marine-Horn-maybe-optimized.jpg

GEOMAZ35

Re: What is this ? Anyone know ?

Postby GEOMAZ35 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Definitely not a diaphone item, but I see how that would catch your eye. The projector shape appears like one at a quick glance.
Interesting item, go ahead and plug it in for a few seconds. If it's not the right voltage will just operate slower, but not harm anything. I believe I have a version of this collision alarm and bell version. They make for interesting door bells.
...more pictures?

superfleet

Postby superfleet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:49 am

If you want to try it on 12 volts I use a battery charger for that purpose, give it a try and at least if it is 110 Volts then the 12 volts won't harm it. I frequently use a battery charger to power up railroad-related accessories (headlights, crossing bells, etc) and it works quite well.

Dan

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Return to “Ship, Boat, Fog and Fire Horns”