Help with a Kahlenberg

12bridge

Help with a Kahlenberg

Postby 12bridge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Need some help here..

Our new boat has a Kahlenberg D3A. I can not for the life of me get it to work.

It has a 3/4 line going to it, that goes down to 1/2" at the valve. It has good air going to it, valve works fine. I took the back caps off, cleaned the diaphragms, and put it back together. Nothing. Not a squeek.

To me, its acting like the diaphragms are not getting enough pre-load on them, but you cant tighten the caps up hard, as they are bronze screws.

We have all of the paperwork for it, but I am not getting anywhere. I know locomotive horns, but this thing is proving to be a pain. This is why we have a Leslie on the tug..

Anyone have any ideas before I scrap this thing and get a K3?

Here is one photo, I will get some more later.

12bridge

Re: Help with a Kahlenberg

Postby 12bridge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Well, it turns out you find things when you take it off the boat. I took it into the shop, and took it 100% apart, and found a clogged orifice, packed solid. Now I see why there is 2 cases of horn filters on the boat.

Its always something stupid.. And I was hoping to get a Nathan..

GEOMAZ35

Postby GEOMAZ35 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I was going to suggest the orifice being clogged, but I understood your post as there was air moving through the horn ...and just not oscillating the diaphragm. There are also tiny holes for moisture drain than can be cleaned.

Kahlenberg orifice design is so restrictive as to be compatible with whatever range of pressure a ship may be equipped with. This is to prevent damage to the horn, which explains why a horn blaster on YouTube can hit 250psi.
Clean out that orifice hole till you scrape into shiny brass color, no harm.

Please contact me directly before considering scrapping a horn like this. Aside from the very rare size 4, a size 3 is no longer in production by Kahlenberg. I'd have a suitable temporary loaner kahlenberg for your vessel length Coast Guard requirements, as well as a K3L if desired. I believe we are within reasonable driving distance from one another.

12bridge

Postby 12bridge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Int he documentation we have (Boat came with a file cabinet full, including a folder on the horn, manual, recipt, etc, it mentions they are good from 30psi-300psi.

The horn has its own moisture trap and filter before it, and that was the first thing I took apart. It really threw me for a loop, as I was getting air flow, but would not resonate. After taking it off the boat and tearing it apart in the shop, one of those orfices was packed. I am amazed at how small they are.. I guess I will make a routine out of cleaning them.

I was a bit sarcastic with the scrap comment, I would never scrap anything like that, but it was close to going up forsale or trade. Ill throw it back up and see how she sounds on a proper air line before doing that though..

Now to fix the D2 on the tugboat..

Blazer

Postby Blazer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Hey I will trade you my k3la for your khalenberg?

Return to “Ship, Boat, Fog and Fire Horns”