Foster Steam Siren

Pittman Owen

Foster Steam Siren

Postby Pittman Owen » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:34 pm

I have a Foster steam siren, circa 1945. It has a 1 1/2 NPT steam connection, but the nameplate is not legible. I am moving and need to find a home for it. If interested, please post. I am in Birmingham, AL.

GEOMAZ35

Re: Foster Steam Siren

Postby GEOMAZ35 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:24 pm

These used to be worth big money as they hardly come up for sale. I've had three of them for sale with no offers. Two of the sirens are new old stock, one still inside the original shipping crate. These are super loud because the rotor/stator acts to chop the air, which seems to be audible over longer distances. Not to mention, the emotional aspect of being understood as warning for impending collision or incoming torpedo.
Good luck with the sale, post a picture if you can.

RES

Postby RES » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:36 am

Yes, the market has dropped for both steam sirens and steam whistles. 6-chime B&B locie whistles used to command prices north of the $6000 range, now they go begging for less than half of that. My guess is that most steam people were blueheads who are rapidly dying off and younger people have no interest in, or are unable to afford steam devices.
You're not invited...

Horns owned: Thomas the Tank Engine plastic horn

Mafarnz

Postby Mafarnz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 pm

RES wrote:Yes, the market has dropped for both steam sirens and steam whistles. 6-chime B&B locie whistles used to command prices north of the $6000 range, now they go begging for less than half of that. My guess is that most steam people were blueheads who are rapidly dying off and younger people have no interest in, or are unable to afford steam devices.

Speaking as a young(ish) member there is plenty of interest in steam among the younger generation, but even at $3000 the prices are far higher than what most people can afford. Even the MD reproduction steel whistles are going for around a grand, which is high for something that is a lot harder to make work than a simple compressed air horn.
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

Captofchaos

Postby Captofchaos » Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am

My collection lacks a steam siren, and I have the means to sound one on air. Just haven't found one in my price range.
What are you asking for your foster Siren??
Please post some photos
DANA

SAR621

Postby SAR621 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am

To the original poster - did you ever sell this item? I’m hunting for a steam siren.

Thanks,
David

Return to “Steamship, Whistle and Steam Sirens”