NYC Niagara Whistles

tracksidekid

NYC Niagara Whistles

Postby tracksidekid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Did Niagara's use 3 chime Hancock long bell whistles or different?
Tom

railsrust

Re: NYC Niagara Whistles

Postby railsrust » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 am

I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. I think at least some of them did, which is strange on a railroad that almost exclusively used 5 chime and 6 chime whistles. I did a little reading, and these engines had air horns which were used much more often in order to conserve steam. It was unlikely ANY whistling happened at all with them.

volatone

Postby volatone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 pm

The S1A and S2A class Niagaras were equipped with the NYC 6 chime whistles. A number of the class, not all, also were equipped with a Wabco E2 air horn. The same type whistle, which was a close copy of the NATHAN 6 Chime, was also applied to other classes including their Hudsons.

Ron

NYC1956

Postby NYC1956 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

tracksidekid wrote:Did Niagara's use 3 chime Hancock long bell whistles or different?

All classes of Niagaras were built with steam whistles. The whistle was mounted horizontally on top of the fireman's side of the smokebox next to the stack. In most photos it is difficult to see the whistle because of a rectangular baffle. Although they were never removed, they were seldom used once the airhorns were installed shortly after the Niagaras went into service.
The whistle was a Hancock long bell 3-chime, the same whistle used on the SP 4449, the UP 844, the N&W 611, the UP Big Boys, etc.
The Hancock long bell 3-chime was the only commercially manufactured whistle designed expressly for steam pressures in excess of 250 psig. The Niagara boiler pressure was 275 psig.
The Niagaras were the only NYC steam locomotives equipped with the Hancock whistle.
Mike

volatone

Postby volatone » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Please find attached New York Central System whistle drawing V-71291.

note: the whistle bell L-25226 built by NYC, a close Nathan 6 chime copy, is listed as also being used on the S1a,b, and S2A class Niagaras beginning in 1946.

Ron
Attachments
Nyc 6 Chime.jpg

NYC1956

Postby NYC1956 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 am

I want to correct some bad information that I was given and have passed along. The Hancock whistle was never used by the New York Central. An official of the New York Central System Historical Society referred me to drawing V-71776 dated May 1, 1943. Through revision C of this drawing dated November 21, 1947, all Hudsons, L-4a and L-4b Mohawks, all Niagaras and the P&LE A-2a Berkshires used the same whistle depicted in the drawing. It is a 6-chime whistle and there is a handwritten note on the drawing identifying it as a Nathan #4404, Line 1. My understanding is that the NYC shops made their own whistles from cast iron using this drawing and that it was a copy of the Nathan product.
Mike

GenesisFan99

Postby GenesisFan99 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Is this whistle sound accurate to the Niagaras? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjk0DKPLAN0

NYC1956

Postby NYC1956 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 am

Not exactly. The company that manufactures this whistle claims to use the original shop drawings. Even if this results in an exact copy, there are still differences that can affect how the whistle sounds. Remember, the Niagara boiler pressure was 275 pounds - most demonstration setups won't use that high a pressure. Other factors affect the sound, too, like where and how the whistle is mounted. The whistles on the Niagaras were mounted horizontally on the smokebox next to the stack with a baffle that covered it from the side and top. If you want to hear the sound of a Niagara whistle, find original recordings of Hudsons or Mohawks. They will come closer although there will still be variations due to boiler pressure, type of mounting, and degradation with usage.
Mike

NYC1956

Postby NYC1956 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I just realized another big difference. The whistle could not be "quilled" as is done in the video where the whistle is being activated with a pull-cord attached to a lever. The NYC used solenoid valves to activate their 6-chime whistles. The steam was either off or full-one. That results in a very different kind of sound.
Mike

railsrust

Postby railsrust » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Another problem with that video is that NYC actually used two different 6 chimes. This essentially is just a Nathan 5 chime with a sixth note added in. The other NYC 6 chime sounds pretty much like other six note whistles. Maybe a little different?

Return to “Locomotive Whistles”