What is required to blow a whistle on air?

Mafarnz

What is required to blow a whistle on air?

Postby Mafarnz » Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 pm

As the title says, what is needed as far as air set up goes to blow a whistle on air? Volume of tanks, size of airlines and valves, that sort of thing. Looking at a Rizzoli replica whistle.
Thanks!
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

miller49g

Re: What is required to blow a whistle on air?

Postby miller49g » Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Mafarnz wrote:As the title says, what is needed as far as air set up goes to blow a whistle on air? Volume of tanks, size of airlines and valves, that sort of thing. Looking at a Rizzoli replica whistle.
Thanks!

I have an 6'' bowl MD Whistle Nathan 6 Chime and I only get at best a grade crossing honk. And it will never sound as it should when on live steam. What I mean is that it will sound flat on air. This sound clip is 60 gallons of air @ 175psi with my compressor running. My option unless you have a huge air tank and huge compressor stay away from the Steam Whistles. That's why I only own this 1 Whistle.

STE-MD6.mp3 [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 1890 times ]

railsrust

Postby railsrust » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 pm

Usually it requires about 1 gallon of air per inch in diameter of whistle at minimum. It'll last anywhere from 10-30 seconds based on that minimum depending on how efficient the whistle is. A Baldwin 3 chime would be your best option. It's one of the smallest whistles ever used on standard gauge steam locomotives and it puts out lots of sound. Because it's pretty small it's also quite easy to move around and it uses a lot less air. The bigger the whistle the greater the consumption of air. You need at least 3/4" diameter pipe to feed a small whistle like that. Anything bigger will need anywhere from 1 1/2" - 2" diameter pipe to feed the whistle. If you want to replicate a horn chord, Chris should be able to replicate the sound based on the notes you provide. Also remember that these whistles really don't start to come alive until around 50 psi, and the best sound is around 100-200 psi depending on the setup and the whistle. Even at 50 psi they can be quite loud. Remember that every note is playing slightly lower on air, and might not sound right. I would stay away from anything but 5 chimes and 3 chimes if you're blowing them on air. An N&W hooter also sounds awesome on air. You're going to need a 1 1/2" valve if you're going with ANY 6" whistles, fyi. Not enough volume of air can get through otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Evansville-Antiques

Postby Evansville-Antiques » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:35 am

there is almost no use in trying to build a whistle setup, unless its in the 1 or more k price range . You want steam

wingless

Postby wingless » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm

My Kahlenberg 117 AMP Whistle runs fine on my Custom Oasis XD3000 Air System.

The whistle wants volume and handles pressure. I could blow the whistle w/ air from my lungs / lips (quietly).

My air system uses 1" plumbing for the distribution. The 15 gallon tank handles plenty of toots before requiring resupply from the compressor.

miller49g

Postby miller49g » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:47 pm

wingless wrote:My Kahlenberg 117 AMP Whistle runs fine on my Custom Oasis XD3000 Air System.

The whistle wants volume and handles pressure. I could blow the whistle w/ air from my lungs / lips (quietly).

My air system uses 1" plumbing for the distribution. The 15 gallon tank handles plenty of toots before requiring resupply from the compressor.

That little whistle is no comparison to a 6in whistle with a 2in pipe at the bottom. SORRY

miller49g

Postby miller49g » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:48 pm

delete

wingless

Postby wingless » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Mafarnz wrote:As the title says, what is needed as far as air set up goes to blow a whistle on air? Volume of tanks, size of airlines and valves, that sort of thing. Looking at a Rizzoli replica whistle.
Thanks!

wingless wrote:My Kahlenberg 117 AMP Whistle runs fine on my Custom Oasis XD3000 Air System.

miller49g wrote:That little whistle is no comparison to a 6in whistle with a 2in pipe at the bottom. SORRY
No apology required.

The OP (quoted here) asked about blowing a whistle, not about blowing a 6" whistle w/ a 2" inlet. The Rizzoli Whistles range from 1" to 4" diameter.

As I stated my 2" diameter Kahlenberg 117 AMP Whistle w/ the ½" NPT inlet runs fine on my Custom Oasis XD3000 Air System.

It also sounds great.

wingless' Kahlenberg 117 AMP Whistle A/V Clip

railsrust

Postby railsrust » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 am

Actually, the whistles Chris Rizzoli makes are commonly 6" in diameter, and he can probably build you something 8" or larger. He got started making 4" and down steam whistles for miniature steam stuff, but he bought out Mike Daugherty a couple years ago. He also does quite a bit of whistle restoration nowadays.

Return to “Locomotive Whistles”