Possible Grand Trunk Railroad Whistle 6 Chime - Help Needed

Dundas Hound

Possible Grand Trunk Railroad Whistle 6 Chime - Help Needed

Postby Dundas Hound » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Wondering if anyone can give me an idea of relative value on this big 6 Chime whistle. It has GTR cast into the insert and I've been told via others it may be Grand Trunk Railroad. It's about 6" in diameter and is big/heavy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
2016-11-02 14.28.41.jpg
2016-11-02 14.30.07.jpg
2016-11-02 14.30.39.jpg

RES

Re: Possible Grand Trunk Railroad Whistle 6 Chime - Help Needed

Postby RES » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi,
I believe it is, due to the characteristic short ears between chambers. I've never seen a bowl of that shape, but I'm sure the chime is GTR. Their 6-chimes were very melodious.

You're not invited...

Horns owned: Thomas the Tank Engine plastic horn

75thillinois

Postby 75thillinois » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I too have a six-chime Grand Truck Railroad steam whistle - solid brass as yours. I have it narrowed down to several 0-8-0 switch locomotives that were scrapped and melted down at the NWSW (North Western Steel and Wire) in Sterling, Illinois. Sixteen 0-8-0's were purchased by NWSW around 1960, and were to be scrapped, but steel plant owner, Paul Dillon, (lover of steam locomotives) realized the majority of the locos were running. So, Paul used all but 4 in his scrap yards...I remember as a young boy back in the 1960's, my father on occasion would load up the car and take us over from Dixon to watch the old locomotives pulling the hopper cars full of scrap to the kilns, huffing and puffing back and forth. Four of them were scrapped over the years and the "jewelry" was removed before the meltdown. I believe the engine mine was from was G.T.R. # 8314 (which I have a photo of). I like you, would like to know what this baby is worth!

SAR621

Postby SAR621 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm

75thillinois wrote:I too have a six-chime Grand Truck Railroad steam whistle - solid brass as yours. I have it narrowed down to several 0-8-0 switch locomotives that were scrapped and melted down at the NWSW (North Western Steel and Wire) in Sterling, Illinois. Sixteen 0-8-0's were purchased by NWSW around 1960, and were to be scrapped, but steel plant owner, Paul Dillon, (lover of steam locomotives) realized the majority of the locos were running. So, Paul used all but 4 in his scrap yards...I remember as a young boy back in the 1960's, my father on occasion would load up the car and take us over from Dixon to watch the old locomotives pulling the hopper cars full of scrap to the kilns, huffing and puffing back and forth. Four of them were scrapped over the years and the "jewelry" was removed before the meltdown. I believe the engine mine was from was G.T.R. # 8314 (which I have a photo of). I like you, would like to know what this baby is worth!

I'd say about $3,500 based on what it just sold for :D

Return to “Locomotive Whistles”