In an attempt to decipher the notes of this whistle

shane_man15

In an attempt to decipher the notes of this whistle

Postby shane_man15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm

So, I've been listening to this for God knows how long now.
Sat down today to try and pick out all the notes in it. Now, thinking that 765 has only had Nathan 6 chimes, I keep thinking that's what this is, but after putting all the notes I can hear in on FL Studio, I only see 5 notes.

D#, F#, A, B, & E (Might be D#, but the heat from the whistle is making it sound an E otherwise)

Is that what everyone else is getting or is it just me?

Shane Smiley

Horns: A bunch of cool stuff.

Bell: Ex-PC EMD Bronze Bell

RES

Re: In an attempt to decipher the notes of this whistle

Postby RES » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 am

765 uses only its original Nathan 6-chime whistle. However, from the factory this whistle was equipped with a steam deflector so the fireman's view was not obstructed. The deflector causes the whistle to whippoorwill constantly.

In this recording the longest flute (C#) is silent almost all the time, only coming in faintly when the whistle is blown on low steam, as in quilling. Other flutes are constantly coming in and out of the chord, and often over-blowing or screeching, and almost never blowing their correct fundamentals.

At my suggestion in 2005 during the locie's overhaul, they rotated the bell into different positions to try and correct the problem. They hit the nail on the head and for one season the whistle sounded like a standard Nathan 6-chime. However, the unique "voice" of 765 was lost, and missed, so the bell was rotated back to its original position and the unique voice of 765 lives on!

This is a standard Nathan-6. 765's 'sister engine' Pere Marquette 1225, and originally 765, came with air-operated solenoid valves to actuate the whistles. Combined with the instant on-off and the steam deflectors on each whistle, resulted in just noise. 765's owners opted the retrofit of a standard manual valve, which brought back the whistle's classic sound. I heard PM 1225 in excursion service when it first came online, and the solenoid was still used. The sound was horrible, just a loud hissing of steam with a faint wheezing. Adding to this was that 1225's whistle had deep steam-cuts around the bell from yearz of service. Eventually the bell of the whistle was replaced and a manual valve added and the locomotive finally has a real voice!
Last edited by RES on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're not invited...

Horns owned: Thomas the Tank Engine plastic horn

shane_man15

Re: In an attempt to decipher the notes of this whistle

Postby shane_man15 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:06 pm

RES wrote:765 uses only its original Nathan 6-chime whistle. However, from the factory this whistle was equipped with a steam deflector so the fireman's view was not obstructed. The deflector causes the whistle to whippoorwill constantly.

In this recording the longest flute (C#) is silent almost all the time, only coming in faintly when the whistle is blown on low steam, as in quilling. Other flutes are constantly coming in and out of the chord, and often over-blowing or screeching, and almost never blowing their correct fundamentals.

At my suggestion in 2005 during the locie's overhaul, they rotated the bell into different positions to try and correct the problem. They hit the nail on the head and for one season the whistle sounded like a standard Nathan 6-chime. However, the unique "voice" of 765 was lost, and missed, so the bell was rotated back to its original position and the unique voice of 765 lives on!

This is a standard Nathan-6. 765's 'sister engine' Pere Marquette 1225, and originally 765, came with air-operated solenoid valves to actuate the whistles. Combined with the instant on-off and the steam deflectors on each whistle, resulted in just noise. 765's owners opted the retrofit of a standard manual valve, which brought back the whistle's classic sound. I heard PM 1225 in excursion service when it first came online, and the solenoid was still used. The sound was horrible, just a loud hissing of steam with a faint wheezing. Adding to this was that 1225's whistle had deep steam-cuts around the bell from yearz of service. Eventually the bell of the whistle was replaced and a manual valve added and the locomotive finally has a real voice!

That would explain why it sounds like it does now. I've watched videos of the 1225 when it had the air operated solenoid. I, too, found it rather annoying. Although, in the cab, it was kind of neat to see how they had it set up.

I just like that sound. Especially that Nathan 6 chime sound. It's so pretty. I just need to hit the lottery and get me a steam locomotive with a Nathan 6 chime to go with it. I'll be good then. :D
Shane Smiley

Horns: A bunch of cool stuff.

Bell: Ex-PC EMD Bronze Bell

Return to “Locomotive Whistles”