operating switch for e-bell (part #?)

the former deafrn

operating switch for e-bell (part #?)

Postby the former deafrn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Anyone have part number/vendor info on an operator's switch used with a Graham-White or Transtronic e-bell? I am looking for the style with the round "mushroom" head occasionally installed on a brake stand as opposed to the square pushbutton type frequently found on the top of a console.

tfd
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

the former deafrn

Re: operating switch for e-bell (part #?)

Postby the former deafrn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Okay... gonna narrow my inquiry down a bit... or maybe widen it...

My question about switches is limited to those applications where the e-bell is not automatically activated by the air horn circuit. I've seen hobbyists using momentary pushbutton switches, maintained pushbutton switches (with "mushroom" buttons), "emergency stop" switches with mushroom buttons, traditional SPST toggle switches, etc.

I'm looking for information on what is really being used at this time on older power in revenue service that has been retrofitted by RR shops (those such as are left) and contract shops. Actual part numbers would be great, but even pinning down specifics on the type(s) being used would be okay.

And on a semi-related note, has anyone seen an e-bell in the wild that was installed on a locomotive using the old rubber vibration insulators used with EMD bell spacer blocks? Most of them appear to be bolted right to whatever bracket is taking them.

tfd
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

Return to “Locomotive Bells and Lights”