eBell question

izzwardo

eBell question

Postby izzwardo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 am

I am trying to hook up my ebell on my truck and I got the DCDC 12v input to 48v output converter and I can only get a small partial ding out of it but if I connect it next to my battery it works fine with the converter. When I try to wire it so that the bell is in the back of my truck about 8 feet away then it only makes a small sound and that’s it. What am I doing wrong? I believe I am using 14 gauge wire should I be using larger? Seems like everyone else that I’ve seen seem to not have any problems with their setup.

the former deafrn

Re: eBell question

Postby the former deafrn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Not sure what is going on with your power issues/converter location, but all the "factory" leads running to E-bells which I have actually examined up close have been of 18 AWG tinned, stranded copper hook-up wire. I'm not up on my "wire cryptology," but the attached photo shows a typical example of what is printed on the insulation of a good number of leads crimped into the pins on the bayonet-style connectors.

tfd

e-bell wire.JPG
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

railgeek

Postby railgeek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Your 12V DC converter might not be giving the e-bell enough amps.
-Reed S

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks for the response. I ended up running larger wire and doing a better job wiring it and it works great now!

the former deafrn

Postby the former deafrn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:01 am

All's well that ends well.

FWIW regarding the length of the wiring: if you ever get to see a new replacement e-bell "harness" from EMD for an e-bell that has the circular bayonet connector , you'll find a surprising amount of cable inside that sealed bag. It would be a flippin' long run a that would require more.

Should anyone want to recreate prototypical wiring for e-bells, EMD and General Electric seem to have done things a bit differently. Both use stranded copper 16 or 18 AWG leads, but EMD applications generally have them jacketed ("two-conductor cable"), while GETS generally runs them inside a flexible polymer conduit. Another difference is that on the e-bells which use a circular bayonet-type electrical connector, EMD tended to use an ITT/Cannon straight plug with a strain clamp for the cable, while GETS used - or at least did - an AB Connectors 90-degree plug with threads for a conduit fitting. Either connector will work, but they differ in details. Anyway, these have been my observations on as-built locomotives... retrofits can be all over the place.

It is a lot cheaper and easier to just hard-wire an e-bell - which can be done on e-bells with the circular connectors as well as the ones that were made for a hard-wired connection - than it is to make up a connector/leads assembly from scratch, but if a person has access to the right crimping tool and a friendly source for the connectors themselves, it isn't anything monumental. Whenever possible, save time and money and try and get the factory circular bayonet-type connector and leads assembly even if it has been cut off short... a person can always add more wire.

(ETA: Graham-White sells an e-bell "harness" with the cable and circular connector ready to go.)

tfd
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 pm

I have a friend who got an ebell and he decided to plug it into AC current and smoke came out of the bell. Anyone know where to go from here? Are they worth rebuilding and is it even possible to rebuild it without having to send it to graham white?

railgeek

Postby railgeek » Tue May 01, 2018 12:24 am

Pop it open and see if there is any schmoo on the circuit board. If there is it might be dead. If the speaker is toast, they're pretty easy to find online.
-Reed S

Mafarnz

Postby Mafarnz » Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 am

izzwardo wrote:I have a friend who got an ebell and he decided to plug it into AC current and smoke came out of the bell.

Voltage rating, what’s that? :lol: :roll: I used to work for an electronics manufacturing company, in the service and repair department. It was amazing how much equipment people blew up because they didn’t bother to read what voltage and AC/DC it was supposed to power up on.
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 am

Yeah you can see the burn marks on it in the pictures. Oh well I guess it’s off to the trash
Attachments
3C44A4AA-7291-4743-8D6B-1DD248E1C801.jpeg
74C4DA2D-86FE-4597-9C23-744373DA3436.jpeg

railgeek

Postby railgeek » Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 am

izzwardo wrote:Yeah you can see the burn marks on it in the pictures. Oh well I guess it’s off to the trash

Before you can it, check if you can see any part numbers on the chips, maybe you can solder some new ones on.
-Reed S

Return to “Locomotive Bells and Lights”