eBell question

izzwardo

Re: eBell question

Postby izzwardo » Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 am

Good idea maybe I’ll try that I know one part is obviously fried so I will try to find a replacement chip and see if that works

the former deafrn

Postby the former deafrn » Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am

izzwardo wrote:Are they worth rebuilding and is it even possible to rebuild it without having to send it to graham white?

Unless a person has a source for inexpensive RTO e-bells, rebuilding is cheap compared to buying a replacement, even if Graham-White does the rebuilding. IIRC, that board was around $300 from G-W not too long ago.

tfd
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

izzwardo

Postby izzwardo » Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 pm

I ended up calling Graham White and they referred me to a place in Texas that rebuilds/sells the computer boards for the ebells and she quoted me $470 for just the board. So he ended up sending the bell housing to a friend and buying a newer working bell. She told me that the ebells brand new are almost a thousand dollars :shock:

the former deafrn

Postby the former deafrn » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm

$470 for the board, huh? Ouch. That is higher than what I was quoted a while back, while the price quoted for a new e-bell was a shade OVER a grand. Go figure. For sure, finding a good RTO e-bell is the most cost-effective way to go for we civilians, and unless that example with the zapped board was particularly pristine in all other aspects, the right decision was probably made.

For sure there is nothing cheap about e-bells if you are talking about new ones or new replacement parts. I came close to an infarction when I was getting a quote earlier this year from a local electrical jobber for an OEM e-bell "joystick" operator. It made the price of new G-W push-pull operating valves seem pretty tame.

tfd
the former deafrn
"It was considered junk at the time."

"Every now and then, in those days, the boys would tell me I ought to get one Jim Blaine to tell me the stirring story of his grandfather's old air horn-"

Return to “Locomotive Bells and Lights”