Dr. Ken.........

hoot
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Ken.........

Postby hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Iron Horse wrote:Some years ago Ken got really ill and was bedridden for weeks, a few of his friends dropped by and thought they would be doing him a favor by 'straightening out' his shop... you can well imagine what resulted.

Some months ago I discussed with Ken the idea of inviting people by in an attempt to collect their stuff, to no avail.

I have stuff there as well, but I've been taking a week off every year for the past five or six years to help him.

People have been trying to contact him. He is posting on a BMW forum. Don't ya think if he was a man of his word he would collect all evidence of horns sent to him from the people trying to contact him and at least get back and say I have it, I don't or fk off?

If it wasn't for him living on that BMW forum I might not be typing this. It makes no sense.

Lets say 3 people call him or email him and tell him what they sent. Is it impossible to respond?
Mike
Nathan K3LA under the truck
E-Bell
Bunch of Leslie singles all sold.

njt4272

Postby njt4272 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Iron Horse wrote:Some years ago Ken got really ill and was bedridden for weeks, a few of his friends dropped by and thought they would be doing him a favor by 'straightening out' his shop... you can well imagine what resulted.

Months ago I discussed with Ken the idea of inviting people by in an attempt to collect their stuff, to no avail.

I have stuff there as well, but I've been taking a week off every year for the past five or six years to help him.

Well good, then......... If I don't get an answer soon, the next time you're there, find me #3 and #5 NC P Bells, put them in a box, and then contact me for a shipping address. Its not like I have multiple, whole horns there. My request is pretty simple. You'll be my new best friend!
- Nathan P5r24 - NC1,2,4,5,OC3 -The 'Fantasy Quality' P5 from the 'P-Unit Primer'
- Ex-NJT Wabco AA-2
- 1952 Nathan M5 ABF
- Nathan P3X: P235 ABF - NC2,3,OC5 - F,G#,C#
- OC Nathan P01235 - Elwood Belknap collection
- Wabco E2-B1 - Ed Kaspriske collection

njt4272

Postby njt4272 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:29 pm

hoot wrote:

Some months ago I discussed with Ken the idea of inviting people by in an attempt to collect their stuff, to no avail.

People have been trying to contact him. He is posting on a BMW forum. Don't ya think if he was a man of his word he would collect all evidence of horns sent to him from the people trying to contact him and at least get back and say I have it, I don't or fk off?

If it wasn't for him living on that BMW forum I might not be typing this. It makes no sense.

Lets say 3 people call him or email him and tell him what they sent. Is it impossible to respond?

I made it very clear in my message to him on the BMW board - (1) simply find my 2 bells and ship them back to me, (2) write me a check for what I paid for them, or I'm sure that the fine members of the Silverhill, AL police department would be happy to stop by and help him find them for me.
- Nathan P5r24 - NC1,2,4,5,OC3 -The 'Fantasy Quality' P5 from the 'P-Unit Primer'
- Ex-NJT Wabco AA-2
- 1952 Nathan M5 ABF

JellyBoi

Postby JellyBoi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Ken is not returning any horns .
It was claimed (by whom?) that these bells and half a dozen other horns, a few over 1k in value, are "gone" and he , Ken , has absolutely no clue the status of the horns . It is confirmed that he does not respond to horn-related emails.
I would go to the "horn hospital" in person.

hoot
Site Admin

Postby hoot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 am

Talked to Ken. I will repost his answer on the Locomotive horn Forum here.
Mike
E-Bell

njt4272

Postby njt4272 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 am

hoot wrote:Talked to Ken. I will repost his answer on the Locomotive horn Forum here.

I'm happy to report that I also heard from Ken. I'm also happy that he plans to make good on everything, even completing the work that my P bells were in the horn hospital for if I still want them done. Its unfortunate that it had to come to this, and its also unfortunate that a skilled craftsman like Dr. Ken has fallen on such hard times, but in these times of emails and message boards, communication is key. Communication is also the cornerstone of a successful business. This can all be summed up most eloquently by the great Strother Martin from his role is Cool Hand Luke; "What we've got here is....failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men".
- Ex-NJT Wabco AA-2
- 1952 Nathan M5 ABF

hoot
Site Admin

Postby hoot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 am

njt4272 wrote:
hoot wrote:Talked to Ken. I will repost his answer on the Locomotive horn Forum here.

I'm happy to report that I also heard from Ken. I'm also happy that he plans to make good on everything, even completing the work that my P bells were in the horn hospital for if I still want them done. Its unfortunate that it had to come to this, and its also unfortunate that a skilled craftsman like Dr. Ken has fallen on such hard times, but in these times of emails and message boards, communication is key. Communication is also the cornerstone of a successful business. This can all be summed up most eloquently by the great Strother Martin from his role is Cool Hand Luke; "What we've got here is....failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men".

And he had no problem communicating on the BMW forum throughout all these times. Something not right about that.
Mike
E-Bell

njt4272

Postby njt4272 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Well despite the 6 1/2 years,the strongly worded way this post began and the subsequent message that renewed communication with the good doctor, I'm happy to report an excellent experience since then. He's been superb with communication. Throughout the entire re-tuning process, he sent really great pictures of the bells before, during, and after the work. They are now done and soon to be on their way from Silverhill, AL to Stroudsburg, PA. I really am impressed with how he made this right, and naturally, the work he did, even in the pictures, is amazing to see. Truly an artist when it comes to horns.

Would you ever believe that this bell was cut, shortened, and welded back together if the "P" wasn't missing?

Once the bells arrive, and thanks to a few things purchased from Mr. Aker, the experiment with my P5 can begin and I can build my F minor chord P3X.
- Ex-NJT Wabco AA-2
- 1952 Nathan M5 ABF

Mafarnz

Postby Mafarnz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Excellent! How long is that #5 bell?
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

njt4272

Postby njt4272 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Mafarnz wrote:Excellent! How long is that #5 bell?

I'll have it in about 3 days. After that, I'll give you an exact measurement, but based on the photos Dr. Ken sent me, he cut just over a quarter of an inch out of the length of the bell. The NC #5 bell on my P5r24 is 9 inches exactly from flare to back cap, so if we do the math, the one Ken is sending me should be 8.75" long.

Its tuned to the OC #5 note, along with a #3 bell that now blows OC.

With the NC #3 and #5 bells off my P5, plus a NC #2 bell, Matt, I'll be duplicating a modified P3M you once mocked up for me on YouTube. Do you remember doing that about 7 years ago for me?

Now if you really want to impress me, in the next 3 days, put a mixed cast P5 together for me and make a video so I have an idea what to expect from my own: P135R24 - NC #1, #2, #4, and OC #3, #5. I'm trying to recreate a horn I knew from the mid-80's!
- Ex-NJT Wabco AA-2
- 1952 Nathan M5 ABF

Return to “Thoughts”