Leslie S Head Repairs

b2major9th

Re: Leslie S Head Repairs

Postby b2major9th » Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm

b2major9th wrote:
Mafarnz wrote:Question about the feasibility of repairs. I’ll post these publicly since I’m sure I’m not the only one with these issues.

1) I have a bronze tab head with a thin nozzle, about 1/16”. Is this too thin to remachine?
It depends on how uneven the wear is on the nozzle. If only a light "skim" cut (on the order of a few thousandths of an inch) can level the nozzle, then it may be possible to get it functional. Not much of a relief cut can be made on the surface leading to the bore, but not a lot is required since the diaphragm does not flex much in that direction anyway.

2) I have a S cap with a crack along about half the length of the dome. Is this cost effective to repair?
Probably not cost effective for the following reason. Not so much the weld cost itself, but when it is cracked like that in close proximity to the diaphragm locating surfaces, it would also require a full remachining job, and lots of die grinding/filing to make it look acceptable from the outside. By the time you add up the hours for repair, it would be more economical to replace it with a functional cap. I once repaired an aluminum tab cap cracked that way, but tab caps are getting hard to find and at least in the eyes of the owner, the expense was justified.

Mafarnz

Postby Mafarnz » Thu May 31, 2018 2:05 pm

I figured that was the case on the back cap. As for the bronze head, it doesn't have a back cap so its not too big of a deal. Next time I have some stuff to send you I'll toss it in the box.
Thanks Mike!
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

ALCO44100

Postby ALCO44100 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 am

Hey Mike,
They look familiar !!! Finally got it reassembled and tested. Sounds brilliant. Many thanks.
Paul....

b2major9th

Postby b2major9th » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:16 am

ALCO44100 wrote:Hey Mike,
They look familiar !!! Finally got it reassembled and tested. Sounds brilliant. Many thanks.
Paul....

Glad to hear it. A healthy S-head Leslie beats any RS-head version hands down, every time!

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”