K5LA work/Cracked diffuser ring.

elliotpederson

K5LA work/Cracked diffuser ring.

Postby elliotpederson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Greetings everyone.

I recently acquired a big bore 5 K5LA off of Amtrak
AEM-7 #904. I’ve been working on getting it apart for the past few weeks. With the help of Mike Muha’s expert advice I’ve been fairly successful in doing so. I have all of the back caps removed. I have all of the bells removed except 4a which I may just leave attached to the manifold, not sure yet. I was able to remove all but two of the broken back cap bolts (total 7). One remains in the 1 bell. One remains in the 5 bell. I have broke the remaining two bolts down further and I am no longer able to grip them with a bench vise. I had one broken manifold bolt on the 5 bell side. I thought if any of the bolts would be easy to remove it would be this one. After much time and effort I was unsuccessful. I broke the bolt down further just like the back cap bolts. At this point I attempted drilling and using easy-outs. Having no luck I drilled larger holes thinking that the bolt would weaken and break lose or apart. Still no luck. Now that I’ve drilled the bolt out this much I will probably end up drilling it out completely. I can’t believe how tough this bolt is.

Now, it appears that I have a cracked diffuser ring in 4a. I would like to know if this will cause any negative effects once I get the horn all back together. I plan on cleaning the bells up, but I’ve been concerned about trying to remove and breaking the diffuser ring bolts. I suppose if it would be alright leaving the ring (or all of them) as is, I would. Your answers/advice?

Any other input would be appreciated also. I’m fairly new to this and I’m learning more day by day. Thanks for your time

Also, I’d like to say thanks to Mike Muha for his help and direct communication.

EP

7AA5B6AF-EA24-4FD3-B036-BE95D5B1E18E.jpeg

B04C1159-9A3C-439C-B84E-346DFA7FE31D.jpeg

864E7BE0-323F-43EF-B029-9703E32AF448.jpeg
Raised letter K5LA 79K. Raised letter K5HL 101K.
AEM-7 #904 Big Bore 5 K5LA. Conrail/CSX RS3L. GW E-Bell.

elliotpederson

Re: K5LA work/Cracked diffuser ring.

Postby elliotpederson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Some more photos of the horn
EC5E9271-7D2F-40C2-8563-DB60B7AB28B6.jpeg

2DD1FBDC-C436-428D-AE7F-06361F8FF308.jpeg

AmtrakMatt

Postby AmtrakMatt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 pm

It isn’t detrimental if it sits in a position that doesn’t have the air inlet, but I like to have my stuff right and would eventually replace it if i were you. I may have a spare.

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:11 am

AmtrakMatt wrote:It isn’t detrimental if it sits in a position that doesn’t have the air inlet, but I like to have my stuff right and would eventually replace it if i were you. I may have a spare.

Right. I just see the diffuser ring bolts and expect them to break as well. If they break I don’t suppose there is really any other way to remove them other than drilling them out? Thanks for the reply, I’ll let you know if I might need a replacement. Appreciate it.

Bradygoldminer

Postby Bradygoldminer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:49 pm

#1 I would suggest to heat up the part where the broken bolt is and try to turn it with some pliers that's how I sometimes get mine to move out. go slowly go back and forward while trying turn it out.

#2 If that doesn't work try to drill it out. [IMPORTANT] use a hole punch to punch the middle of the bolt so it does not slip and ruin the bell when drilling.

#3 If any of that does not work try to weld a nut to the broken bolt and turn it out if you have a welder. you can find videos on YouTube of that.

That's my advise of removing broken bolts out of bells.

Thanks, Brady
►—Contact Me For Bead Blasting, Paint Stripping, And Resotration Services—◄
My Name Is Brady B. I Collect Horns And I Draw Parts On CAD Software
My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcubWsxDi-rwSLN5QwbiSJw

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks Brady, I appreciate the advice. I have now successfully rid the horn of broken bolts. I now have the bells all back together but I am unable to get the 2 and 5 bells to sound. I have all new diaphragms. I took the 2 bell apart again to put the old diaphragms in just for fun, but still no sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
EP

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:22 pm

On both the 2 and 5 bells if I blow air individually I am easily able to hear air flow thru the bell and a very minimal amount of sound. I tried putting the horn all together and the same result which I figured.

AmtrakMatt

Postby AmtrakMatt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:53 pm

elliotpederson wrote:On both the 2 and 5 bells if I blow air individually I am easily able to hear air flow thru the bell and a very minimal amount of sound. I tried putting the horn all together and the same result which I figured.

Assuming these bells didn’t blow before?

Got a metal ruler or something perfectly flat? Set it across the two rings the disphragms contact on the head to see if they’re in plane. If not, this is the issue for the silence and they’ll need to be remachined to Spec.

I’m also assuming the back cap doesn’t have excessive wear.

Also assuming the air flow is good through the foot of the bell. It’s rare but I’ve seen bits of junk up in there that causes a bell to be silent.

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am

AmtrakMatt wrote:
elliotpederson wrote:On both the 2 and 5 bells if I blow air individually I am easily able to hear air flow thru the bell and a very minimal amount of sound. I tried putting the horn all together and the same result which I figured.

Assuming these bells didn’t blow before?

Got a metal ruler or something perfectly flat? Set it across the two rings the disphragms contact on the head to see if they’re in plane. If not, this is the issue for the silence and they’ll need to be remachined to Spec.

I’m also assuming the back cap doesn’t have excessive wear.

Also assuming the air flow is good through the foot of the bell. It’s rare but I’ve seen bits of junk up in there that causes a bell to be silent.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll post back with my findings. Probably later this week.

EP

logman

Postby logman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 pm

I have one of the K5's from the #935, Mr. Muha did a great deal of work to remove some seized bolts on my horn. Coincidentally, my 4A diffuser ring was cracked as well. He was able to repair the cracked diffuser ring as well. Below are the pics of the fix from Mike. Outstanding work. My horn did sound different after a diaphragm cleaning & diffuser ring fix!

Best of luck, and lucky find!
Attachments
Diffuser1.jpg
diffuser2.jpg

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”