Bradygoldminer wrote:Sorry for the late response,
I had to go on a trip with my family to go do something. Anyways here is also how I get my K series horns to work quickly.
[Steps In Order]
#1 Get a brass wire brush and brush the nozzle with it until it gets really shinny or reflects. Make sure there is no debris stuck on the nozzle.
#2 Use the brass wire brush and clean the diaphragms really well where the nozzle will be sitting it does not have to reflect. I would recommenced doing this to the older diaphragms.
#3 If that does not work then try to flip the diaphragms over and repeat the process to the other side of the diaphragm and see if that works. I would recommend testing the non-working bells with a little spray gun on the compressor to really tell if it's not working. If that made any sence
I’m back with an update.
I pulled apart both the 2 and the 5 bells again. I did use a brass brush to clean up the nozzles a bit. I also cleaned up the old diaphragms from the 2 bell a little and then replaced them. The actual diaphragms from the 5 bell were blown out so I used the diaphragms from one of the other bells.
Now, when I tried the 2 bell, I was able to produce sound. I felt pretty good about that.
Next I tried the 5 bell. Still no sound. I flipped the diaphragms, nothing. Tried a few other things, nothing. I placed a ruler across the bell and I believe I observed what appeared to be wear. I could see a small amount of light shining between the nozzle and the ruler. I then tried adding a 3rd diaphram. Two against the back of the back cap, the cushion, then the other diaphragm against the nozzle. I tried the bell again and this is the first time I have been able to produce sound from the 5 bell.
Well, this is where I’m at.
Thanks Brady, and to everyone else for their advice.
Raised letter K5LA 79K. Raised letter K5HL 101K.
AEM-7 #904 Big Bore 5 K5LA. Conrail/CSX RS3L. GW E-Bell.