K5LA work/Cracked diffuser ring.

elliotpederson

Re: K5LA work/Cracked diffuser ring.

Postby elliotpederson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 pm

logman wrote:I have one of the K5's from the #935, Mr. Muha did a great deal of work to remove some seized bolts on my horn. Coincidentally, my 4A diffuser ring was cracked as well. He was able to repair the cracked diffuser ring as well. Below are the pics of the fix from Mike. Outstanding work. My horn did sound different after a diaphragm cleaning & diffuser ring fix!

Best of luck, and lucky find!

Ahh very cool! Thank you my friend. Like I said I’ll report back with my findings on wear later this week. I look forward to having it in working order.
Raised letter K5LA 79K. Raised letter K5HL 101K.
AEM-7 #904 Big Bore 5 K5LA. Conrail/CSX RS3L. GW E-Bell.

Bradygoldminer

Postby Bradygoldminer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am

Sorry for the late response,
I had to go on a trip with my family to go do something. Anyways here is also how I get my K series horns to work quickly.

[Steps In Order]

#1 Get a brass wire brush and brush the nozzle with it until it gets really shinny or reflects. Make sure there is no debris stuck on the nozzle.

#2 Use the brass wire brush and clean the diaphragms really well where the nozzle will be sitting it does not have to reflect. I would recommenced doing this to the older diaphragms.

#3 If that does not work then try to flip the diaphragms over and repeat the process to the other side of the diaphragm and see if that works. I would recommend testing the non-working bells with a little spray gun on the compressor to really tell if it's not working. If that made any sence
►—Contact Me For Bead Blasting, Paint Stripping, And Resotration Services—◄
My Name Is Brady B. I Collect Horns And I Draw Parts On CAD Software
My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcubWsxDi-rwSLN5QwbiSJw

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Bradygoldminer wrote:Sorry for the late response,
I had to go on a trip with my family to go do something. Anyways here is also how I get my K series horns to work quickly.

[Steps In Order]

#1 Get a brass wire brush and brush the nozzle with it until it gets really shinny or reflects. Make sure there is no debris stuck on the nozzle.

#2 Use the brass wire brush and clean the diaphragms really well where the nozzle will be sitting it does not have to reflect. I would recommenced doing this to the older diaphragms.

#3 If that does not work then try to flip the diaphragms over and repeat the process to the other side of the diaphragm and see if that works. I would recommend testing the non-working bells with a little spray gun on the compressor to really tell if it's not working. If that made any sence

Okay, I’ll try that! I’ll let you know what happens with it. Thanks Brady.

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Bradygoldminer wrote:Sorry for the late response,

[Steps In Order]

Hey Brady,
I’m back with an update.

I pulled apart both the 2 and the 5 bells again. I did use a brass brush to clean up the nozzles a bit. I also cleaned up the old diaphragms from the 2 bell a little and then replaced them. The actual diaphragms from the 5 bell were blown out so I used the diaphragms from one of the other bells.

Now, when I tried the 2 bell, I was able to produce sound. I felt pretty good about that.

Next I tried the 5 bell. Still no sound. I flipped the diaphragms, nothing. Tried a few other things, nothing. I placed a ruler across the bell and I believe I observed what appeared to be wear. I could see a small amount of light shining between the nozzle and the ruler. I then tried adding a 3rd diaphram. Two against the back of the back cap, the cushion, then the other diaphragm against the nozzle. I tried the bell again and this is the first time I have been able to produce sound from the 5 bell.

Well, this is where I’m at.

Thanks Brady, and to everyone else for their advice.

EP

AmtrakMatt

Postby AmtrakMatt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 am

Encouraging progress. The 5 bell issue is hard to judge without seeing how much wear is present, but it shouldn’t take three discs to make it work. Got any pics of the wear with the straight edge or can you describe how much space is present? This may be a Mike Muha job or if the outer ring is worn evenly it is possible to wet sand by dragging the bell over the super fine sand paper laid on a granite slab or countertop. I strongly caution the need to do this evenly and rotate as you drag.

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:27 am

AmtrakMatt wrote:Encouraging progress. The 5 bell issue is hard to judge without seeing how much wear is present, but it shouldn’t take three discs to make it work. Got any pics of the wear with the straight edge or can you describe how much space is present? This may be a Mike Muha job or if the outer ring is worn evenly it is possible to wet sand by dragging the bell over the super fine sand paper laid on a granite slab or countertop. I strongly caution the need to do this evenly and rotate as you drag.

So here I’ve attached a couple images but keep in mind that I’m not really even sure if I’m checking for wear correctly. You can see in one image that I have the ruler layed flat on the bell. In the same image I also made a small red circle. Although the difference is small, that is the point where I can see a noticable difference compared to other areas on the bell. This is one of the points where I am able to see thru/light. If I move the ruler in different locations I seem to find areas with similar gap, and also areas where everything seems to be more level.

Thanks Matt.

EP

3D924FCD-0817-4367-90FC-379A8916621F.jpeg

A69B52D5-8910-4E39-8C1A-663E449017E4.jpeg

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:31 am

In regards to the image above,

The small red circle marks the point where I see the most gap, but I am also able to see some gap (less) over that particular area of the nozzle. The red circle just marks the most gap. If that makes sense.

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:21 pm

This might be a little more helpful. I zoomed in on the picture. Not sure how it will show up for you guys.

863C5C51-3AF5-4FA2-BAA1-5D935DBF63C0.png

AmtrakMatt

Postby AmtrakMatt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Ok you’re looking for the right thing. What’s going on here where I’ve circled ? Is that a low spot?
Attachments
36C6C829-BFEF-4DEC-803F-1BC55DBCE68F.jpeg

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm

AmtrakMatt wrote:Ok you’re looking for the right thing. What’s going on here where I’ve circled ? Is that a low spot?

So it definitely looks like there is some sort of “damage” there. I was thinking maybe that was were the diaphragm blew out? Here are a few more photos.
There’s also a couple more on the next page.
BDCCCA18-D66A-49AB-8967-0F3A8E39B754.jpeg

7F14AA5D-CB97-4342-B566-3286559D6C48.jpeg

56310FFC-93A0-4B0C-929C-16F44F088777.jpeg
Last edited by elliotpederson on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”