Valve

Andysmith379

Valve

Postby Andysmith379 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Good morning everyone. I am getting closer to completing my project. I have always used the Graham White valve but I see that Horn blasters sells thier own version of that valve. Does anyone have any experience with thier valve? I was curious how it compares.

Mafarnz

Re: Valve

Postby Mafarnz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Cheaper knock off version of the GW valve. I had one as my first valve. Works just fine, but the handle is pot metal so sometimes the handles break.
Matt F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

Andysmith379

Postby Andysmith379 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Mafarnz wrote:Cheaper knock off version of the GW valve. I had one as my first valve. Works just fine, but the handle is pot metal so sometimes the handles break.

I was curious about the handle. Could you tell if the handle, dimensialy wise, was the same as the GW. That is to say would a GW handle work on that valve?

jjgravy

Postby jjgravy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 pm

It’s pretty darn close size wise. Only difference is the type of metal and it has a hole drilled in the end to hook up a pull chain if desired. Mine works great, not to mention a ton cheaper for essentially the same thing. Both serve the exact same purpose but I am not sure about the CFM differences. Someone with more experience in valves could answer that question. I personally prefer ball valves. Offers the most precise control. Especially useful when testing bells. Just my 2 cents.
Jordan G.
Various Nathan horns, GW E-Bell

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Also the air inlet and outlet are opposite of the graham white.
Raised letter K5LA 79K. Raised letter K5HL 101K.
AEM-7 #904 Big Bore 5 K5LA. Conrail/CSX RS3L. GW E-Bell.

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”