K Series Rubber Nozzle Injection Mold

Bradygoldminer

K Series Rubber Nozzle Injection Mold

Postby Bradygoldminer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a project going on where I am making second Generation K series rubber nozzle reproductions.
Here's my progress so far.

Nozzle Mold.PNG
Designed the mold

IMG_0464.JPG
Silicone caulking did not dry fast enough so I tried hot glue. Heres one of the nozzles cut in-half.

IMG_0467.JPG
Nozzles finished off and nozzle face was put on a stove and and melted so there were no leaks when put air through.

I am not really good at giving detail of these projects, Sorry.
I still need to test the nozzles, I will get to test them on a rubber nozzle horn soon that my friend will supply.
[Note] This Is Not The Finished Product, I Will Keep You Guys Updated.

wingless

Re: K Series Rubber Nozzle Injection Mold

Postby wingless » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Very clever solution.

The mold drawing does not show the sprues for the supply and the vent, where are those located?

A typical mold would have the bottom plate and the center disc combined as a single part, instead of the two shown. That would eliminate a path for undesired material flow.

Molds frequently incorporate heaters and cooling passages to permit faster processing time, to preheat the mold for better flow, then to cool after injection, to permit part removal once set.

Bradygoldminer

Re: K Series Rubber Nozzle Injection Mold

Postby Bradygoldminer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 pm

wingless wrote:Very clever solution.

The mold drawing does not show the sprues for the supply and the vent, where are those located?

A typical mold would have the bottom plate and the center disc combined as a single part, instead of the two shown. That would eliminate a path for undesired material flow.

Molds frequently incorporate heaters and cooling passages to permit faster processing time, to preheat the mold for better flow, then to cool after injection, to permit part removal once set.

Hello,
I put some arrows to point where the sprues are in the mold.

Nozzle Mold 2.PNG
Nozzle Mold 2.PNG (74.46 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Also, I made the mold in 5 pieces because the people who 3D printed it for me would have charged me a ton more for that one piece of the mold then I changed the design to this way and it works pretty good. Works 3/4 of the time.

Thanks, Brady

P.S. Thank you for sharing your knowlege with me.

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”