How to restore a K horn to its original finish

AmtrakMatt

How to restore a K horn to its original finish

Postby AmtrakMatt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Video of the restoration process I used on a bare metal horn to get it looking like new:
https://youtu.be/scklK0pTQxE

elliotpederson

Re: How to restore a K horn to its original finish

Postby elliotpederson » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 am

Great video
SE Wisconsin

NickN

Postby NickN » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:11 am

Interesting video and useful - only problem with mine is that it's a sandblasted finish, so got way more work to do first (on the other hand, it's clean...!)

AmtrakMatt

Postby AmtrakMatt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:29 pm

NickN wrote:Interesting video and useful - only problem with mine is that it's a sandblasted finish, so got way more work to do first (on the other hand, it's clean...!)

Unfortunately If a die cast horn has been sand blasted it’s ruined. With a lot of sanding and polishing you can get it to a chrome like finish, but you’ll never get it back to the diecast metal factory look.

I’ve seen a K5LA someone on here sand blasted and it looked so rough that even painting it wouldn’t hide the gouges. The part numbers on the back caps were almost gone due to it too.

Good luck wichever way you go with it.

NickN

Postby NickN » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks AmtrakMatt - yes it was my first (and only) purchase, am hoping to get a couple of better examples at some point of a K and P set.
But I'll give this one some careful sanding by hand and see how I get on - it will be painted anyway in CSX blue eventually.

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”