Leslie Chamber Question

elliotpederson

Leslie Chamber Question

Postby elliotpederson » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Hello, I am Elliot Pederson‘s younger brother. I am using his account with permission to post a thread on this forum. I am still awaiting for my account to be activated by horn whistle board.

I have a question in regard to my 1994 Leslie RS3L.

I bought the horn from my brother. My brother bought the horn sometime in June 2018. The horn back then sounded fantastic. All bells would ring perfectly. Last time I honked the horn in May 2019, the 31 Bell and 44 bell were very audible, however the 25 bell seems to lack it’s sound. I did some testing in my own yard, and the 25 bell seems to leak a lot of air when the valve is cracked open slightly. I don’t know if this is normal or something that needs attention. When I blew it last year, the 25 Bell seemed to sound more dominant than the 31 and the 44. Now the 31 bell has more dominance than the 44 And 25 bell. I decided to take the chamber apart. This is my first time opening up a chamber, so I have no idea what I am looking at. I have pictures below to show you guys the inside of the chamber and the diaphragm. Everything seems fine, but there appears to be this indent on the inside of the back cap. Thoughts and advice would dearly help. Thank you.

Trae Pederson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
SE Wisconsin

Mafarnz

Re: Leslie Chamber Question

Postby Mafarnz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Everything looks fine in the pictures. Check the red silicone ring for holes or tears. Those can be fixed easily with silicone RTV. Otherwise check the dowel pin in the bell for any blockage. Lastly how are the manifold gaskets and doughnut gasket on that chamber?
Maddie F
Pullman WA
Long live the BN and the RS3K!

elliotpederson

Postby elliotpederson » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm

The gaskets for the bell and chamber are still good. I just replaced the doughnut because the old one was soft and out of shape. I thought that placing in a firm doughnut would be the answer, but the problem still continues.
SE Wisconsin

railgeek

Postby railgeek » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Is the diaphragm seat level? Check it with a straight edge across the face of it.
-Reed S

Traep

Postby Traep » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello there,

My account had just been activated a couple of days ago and am able to use this account. I have just been incredibly busy with my job and unable to get to the thread and look at my chamber this week.

The diaphragm is seat level. There are no significant differences in the diaphragm. I have watched a couple of Nick Silcox's videos on repairing Leslie diaphragms, but from the video, those diaphragms appeared to be in severe condition. I still seem to be in a pickle of where the problem could be a occurring. I have ran my fingernail around the nozzle ring and have had my nail get caught on a few Knicks. They are relatively close to each other. I will still have to plug my head in on this, but all of your advice has helped me get the ball rolling. Any more advice or suggestions would be great. Thank you very much guys.

Trae
Trae P
SE WI
Horn rig project: 2019 Tacoma with custom built air setup
94' RS3L and '59 M3H.

Traep

Postby Traep » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:32 pm

SOLVED

I watched a couple of Nick Silcox's videos and all I did was just spray some cooking oil around the diaphragm and the back cap. I reinstalled the chamber and let it sit for a few days. Finally, I put my 25 bell back on and tightened up the bolts and took it for a few blasts today. It sounds great! The 25 bell is now audible and equally sounding with all of the other bells. Sounds just like an RS3L should. All of your feedback was very much appreciated. This is one of my first and favorite horns I have and I'm glad to have it back to normal. Thank You. :D
Trae P
SE WI
Horn rig project: 2019 Tacoma with custom built air setup
94' RS3L and '59 M3H.

Return to “Locomotive Air Horns”